KSC history cont
Those men of vision, many of whom are in the photograph above, who recognised the need for an organisation to be formed; "based on strictly Catholic and democratic ideals, with safeguards to prevent any departure from Catholic principles", were considered to be Incorporators of the Order of the Knights of St Columba. Their names are inscribed on the constitution and will forever be remembered.
A Board of Directors was chosen from these Incorporators, at the first Supreme Council in Glasgow; empowered to remain 'in office' until January 1, 1923, when they handed over the now sturdy organisation to new custodians.
John Neary, the last living Incorporator, died at the age of 86, in Glasgow on the 29th September 1967
The Order's First Home With the phenomenal expansion of the Order in its first year, the need for a 'Knights' premises became obvious. The Subway Halls, in the Partick area of Glasgow, was acquired and volunteers set to work on making the premises suitable for 'The Knight's First Home'.
On the 29th May 1922, some two years after the birth of the Order; the Supreme Office was established at 132 West Nile Street, Glasgow. The Order's expansion and the resulting growth in administration caused the board of directors to take this decisive step. By 1927; owing to the continued progress of the order; the number of councils had reached 178; permanent headquarters were established at 54 Berkeley Street, Glasgow, where it remained until 1982.
Although the majority of the Order's members reside beyond Scottish shores and its offices have moved from its original site on two occasions; 'Supreme Office' or Head Office, as it is now more commonly known; retains its roots in Glasgow.